Today was an exciting day for basketball fans, as 2K Sports unveiled its feature set for the upcoming title set to release on October 1st in North America.
To start off the long list, 2K announced that the community favorite – ‘Crew’ mode will be making its return in 2K14. For those who are unaware, Crew mode was the highly competitive online mode introduced in NBA 2K10 in which players were able to face off against other Crews in 5-on-5 matches. After skipping a few seasons, and a ton of community requests, it returns this year with full leaderboard support and statistics.
In addition to Crews, NBA 2K14 boasts a new Pro Stick gameplay control, allowing players to pull of no-look passes and sensitive/intricate passes with increased accuracy. 2K Sports is saying it is one of the most revolutionary control advances the series has ever seen. On top of Pro Stick, a new Smart Play button will let players quickly call the most suitable play within the proper context of the game and the situation they’re faced with. In total, 2K Sports is saying that NBA 2K14 features more than 3,000 new animations.
Some general gameplay upgrades in NBA2K14 include additional “signature skills” for each player, as well as enhancements to the game’s playbook systems. On offense, 2K Sports said players will see more realistic footwork on shots, a new branching system for dribbling, and more accurate targeting for passing.
What’s most exciting to me however, are the additions that 2K are implementing into their defensive side of the game. A bevy of defensive additions were announced, including the new defensive A.I. system which will help a defensive unit to learn the offense it is facing dynamically in-game. There are also improvements to ball denial mechanics, contact between the dribbler and defender and new defensive commands which use the right stick in giving the defender more moves in his arsenal. These improvements are in addition to last week’s reveal of a new system that allows for easier and more advanced blocking mechanics which includes blocked dunks.
Although much was announced today, we’re still without information on a few key items in regards to NBA 2K14. Will legends make a return? So far there has been no announcement on their inclusion. Also not mentioned was the new mode which is supposedly entitled “Lebron James: The Path to Glory”, which is named in the leaked achievement list.
Crews, Euro teams, a new Lebron mode and a bevy of new gameplay enhancements show that 2K Sports has no intentions of taking its foot off the gas in what is sure to be another solid release come this fall. Be sure to check out the full press release below and the leaked achievement list. NBA 2K14 releases on October 1st.
The NBA® 2K14 development team has been busy this Summer working to deliver on the promise of greatness that fans have come to expect for not one, but two, different generations of consoles. Today 2K is releasing a high-flying feature list along with highlights of several core gameplay improvements coming to NBA 2K14 on current generation platforms. With LeBron James, the king of basketball, at the helm, 2K is continuing to strive for greatness and NBA 2K14 will once again be second to none.
Below is a preview of some of the new features and core gameplay improvements fans will experience in NBA 2K14 with current generation platforms (Xbox 360, PS3) and PC,available on October 1, 2013.
- Crews - The single-most requested game mode is back! Face off against opposing crews online using your MyPLAYER. Create your logo and face off in 5v5 battles with other crews featuring leaderboards and stats. (PS3 & Xbox 360 only)
- Euroleague - Exclusive to NBA 2K14 - play with 14 of the top European teams, featuring authentic uniforms and players.
- Dynamic Living Rosters® powered by Stats, Inc. - Player attributes and tendencies automatically update daily to reflect true life hot and cold streaks. Now, each game played in the NBA can have an effect on your game.
- King James Soundtrack - Featuring artists and tracks hand-picked by LeBron James, including JAY Z, Eminem, The Black Keys, Daft Punk, and many more.
- MyTEAM - Back and better than ever, with new player modes, multi and single player tournaments, and much more. (PS3 & Xbox 360 only)
Key Gameplay Features:
- Pro Stick™ – Throw down show-stopping moves, pull off intricate shots, and toss flashy no-look passes with deadly accuracy with Pro Stick control. Easily the most intuitive basketball controls ever implemented.
- 2K Smart Play Button –Quickly call the most suitable play for the context of the game by simply holding a single button.
- Improved Player Motion System – With an all new motion system, player movement is much smoother on both ends of the floor, while also allowing for much more explosive cuts and tighter control.
- Depth of Content – With significant upgrades in nearly every aspect of the game, both on and off the court, NBA 2K14 boasts more animation content than any previous basketball title, and includes more than 3000 new animations.
General Gameplay Improvements:
- Signature Skills – Six new Signature Skills, ensuring each NBA player’s unique abilities are represented in the most authentic way possible.
- Playbook and Play System enhancements – The deepest and most authentic playbook gets even deeper. Execute new half-court sets, experience improved spacing logic, and run updated team specific plays.
- More Signature Styles - New jump shots, dunk and layup packages, dribble moves, free throws, pre-game intros, getbacks, celebrations and more.
Offensive Control Improvements:
- Shot System Upgrades – More realistic footwork on jump shots, improved awareness in shot selection, and a variety of new shot types. Whether you use the new intuitive Pro Stick™ or the enhanced Smart Shot Button, attacking the rim is now more exciting than ever.
- Dribbling Advancements - Upgraded dribble movement and new branching technology give you much greater 1-to-1 control over the ball handler.
- Enhanced Passing – More accurate pass targeting, new give and go mechanics, better handoffs, and an entire arsenal of new flashy passes.
- Learning Defensive A.I. – Test your skills even further with new defensive AI that sees where the offense is being successful and adjusts strategy to take those advantages away.
- Block Improvements – The block system has been completely revamped for NBA 2K14 with improved ball targeting and awareness, more realistic physics, and more responsive control. All new player collisions, the ability to block dunks, and more appropriate shot contests make playing defense much more fun and rewarding.
- All New Ball Denial - No more getting stuck during off ball bumps and ball denial, allowing for complete freedom of control over your players away from the ball.
- Enhanced dribbler vs. on-ball defender contact - Defenders can now initiate steals, hard bumps, and charges out of defensive rides, making locking up players on defense a much more engaging experience.
- Expanded Defensive Commands – New commands using the right stick: including contesting shots, contesting passes, and denying or pressuring the ball.
Returning Features Include:
- The Association
- The Association: Online
- Training Camp
- NBA Blacktop
- MyPLAYER Blacktop
- Team Up
NBA 2K14 Achievement List
Dawn of an Era 15 Get drafted as a lottery pick in the NBA draft in MyCAREER mode.
Serving Notice 15 Get 250,000 fans in MyCAREER mode.
I’m Here to Stay 25 Get 1,000,000 fans in MyCAREER mode.
Man of the People 40 Get 2,000,000 fans in MyCAREER mode.
Everyone is Special 15 Purchase and equip 1 Signature Skill in MyCAREER mode.
Some more Special than Others 30 Purchase and equip 5 Signature Skills simultaneously in MyCAREER mode.
Now Playing 15 Purchase a pre-game ritual in MyCAREER mode.
Both Feet on the Ground 30 Sign an endorsement contract with either Nike® or Jordan in MyCAREER mode.
Come Fly with Me 15 Purchase Michael Jordan’s dunk package (Historic Jordan) in MyCAREER mode.
NBA Cares 15 Make a donation to the NBA Cares global community outreach initiative in MyCAREER mode.
MyPLAYER of the Game 20 Be named Player of the Game (in an NBA game) in MyCAREER mode.
My Every Day Player 20 Become a starter in the NBA in MyCAREER Mode.
My All-Star 25 Be named an NBA All-Star in MyCAREER mode.
Immortality 30 Make the Hall of Fame in MyCAREER mode.
Runneth Over 30 Obtain a balance of 20,000 VC.
Buzzer Beater 20 Make a game winning shot with no time left on the clock in a non-simulated game.
Trip-Dub 20 Record a triple double with any player in a non-simulated game.
Dub-Dub 20 Record two double doubles with any teammates in the same non-simulated game.
Five by Five 20 Record 5 or more in 5 different stats with any player in a non-simulated game.
It’s Raining 20 Make 15 or more 3-pointers with any team in a non-simulated game.
Block Party 20 Record 10 or more blocks with any team in a non-simulated game.
Men of Steal 20 Record 10 or more steals with any team in a non-simulated game.
Swat and Swipe 20 Record at least 5 blocks and 5 steals with any team in a non-simulated game.
Smothering 20 Hold the opposing team’s FG% below 40% with any team in a non-simulated game.
Giveth and Taketh Away 20 Record 10 or more rebounds and assists with any player in a non-simulated game.
Hold the Fat Lady 20 Start the 4th period losing by 10 or more points and win with any team in a non-simulated game.
Wire to Wire 20 Do not allow your opponent to lead the game at any point with any team in a non-simulated game.
The Closer 20 Hold the opposing team to zero points in the final two minutes of a non-simulated game.
The Here and Now 15 Begin a “Today” Association.
Puppet Master 10 Adjust your “Total Sim Control” strategy in The Association or Season mode.
Not Your Father’s Association 10 Join an Online Association.
Another Day, Another Win 20 Win 5 NBA Today matchups.
Don’t Hate the Player 30 Win the championship in an Online Association.
Streaking 25 Win 5 non-simulated games in a row in The Association mode.
Ticker Tape 30 Win an NBA Championship in The Association mode (playing every playoff game).
All The Sprite® Moves 15 Win the Sprite® Slam Dunk Contest.
Hey Mr. DJ 10 Create a 2K Beats Playlist.
Maestro 15 Create a shoe in the 2K Shoe Creator.
Greatness Achieved 20 Complete LeBron: Path to Greatness.
99 Stars, 1 LeBron 35 Get 99 stars in LeBron: Path to Greatness.
From the Ground Up 20 Purchase 15 Boosters in MyTEAM mode.
82-0 20 Finish any team’s Schedule in MyTEAM.
On the Road Again 15 Play a MyPLAYER Blacktop game online.
It’s Got to be the Crews 10 Winning is everything. Get a W as part of a Crew.
This One Counts 15 Win one online Versus match.
Back to Back to Back 15 Win 3 Versus matches in a row.
You’re Officially Hot 20 Win 5 Versus matches in a row.
Lincoln 15 Win 5 Versus matches total.
Hamilton 20 Win 10 Versus matches total.
The Sum of Its Parts 15 Play a Team-Up Game.
Are you excited about the newly announced features for NBA 2K14? Let us know in the comments below!
Read More →